[opensuse] DUMP over SSH : Lost Connection
  • From: Peter Bloomfield <peter.bloomfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:58:12 -0500
Hi,

I am trying to dump a file system on one machine over the net to a second
machine using 'dump' over ssh, and
I am aware of the potential limitations using dump as I am.

The first machine is Fedora 9, the second is SuSE 11

I issue the following commands:
????????setenv RSH /usr/bin/ssh
????????/sbin/dump -L "Level 0" -0 -v -u -f
root@machine2:/BckUp/BackUpPC/Machine1_Full_0.dump /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-
LogVol00

from which I get the following error

? DUMP: Connection to machine2 established.
? DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Fri Nov 28 10:26:28 2008
? DUMP: Dumping /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 (/) to
/BckUp/BackUpPC/OpenGate_Full_0.dump on host root@machine2
? DUMP: Excluding inode 8 (journal inode) from dump
? DUMP: Excluding inode 7 (resize inode) from dump
? DUMP: Label: Level 0
? DUMP: Writing 10 Kilobyte records
? DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
? DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
? DUMP: estimated 73855810 blocks.
? DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.

At the moment I think that the problem is that even though 'dump' indicates a
connection is established, no valid connection is
made.
At this moment, I am not sure whether the problem is with machine 1 or machine
2, i.e. the ssh_config on machine1 or
sshd_config on machine2. I have modified entries in these configuration files,
but with no effect.

I can ssh/scp/sftp from machine1 to machine2 without any problems.

Thanks

Peter