Re: [opensuse] We Lost One! :(
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:27:13 +0200
On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 09:03 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
2008/9/24 Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>:
Are you arguing that Linux is _perfect_ for desktop use? I need to run
Solidworks on my desktop, to be interoperable with people who care
more about functional software than about any dream of open code. Any
system that cannot run Solidworks is not perfect for me or any other
engineer in my position.

So your question is: Is Linux perfect at running applications that were
not written for it.

I will remind you that Linux is an operating system (or more
pedantically, a kernel from which an OS can be built upon): without
software it does nothing. An OS without applications is useless to me.
So until there are engineering applications for Linux, it cannot be
perfect for me.

No reminding needed - I know this very well. I used 'Linux' because it
was the term used elsewhere in the thread. But, in this case, I think
the kernel (Linux) is, in fact, the primary issue with running foreign
(e.g., Windows) apps. The thing that keeps a program/library from
running is usually the interface to the system, i.e., the kernel.

As an example, the kernel in SCO UnixWare (sorry...) had what was
referred to as 'personalities'. Applications could have been compiled
for different kernel ABIs. The application loader would detect this and
the kernel would be told to present the appropriate ABI. The SVR5 kernel
has a surprisingly large number of personalities that let it run older
applications compiled when the kernel ABI was different. I remember
running an X server compiled for Kodak's SVR4 on UnixWare SVR5.4. Worked
great. When I left UnixWare, they were even making a Linux personality,
so the kernel could run Linux or SVR5.4 binaries at the same time. It
was from SCO's earlier "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" phase. Too bad
that did not last.

In addition, 'Linux' and 'GNU Linux' are a commonly used term used to
refer generally to all distributions. And you issue is common to all
distributions.

I wish you luck in getting support!

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.