Re: [opensuse] Ddoes anyone know why the updater in the panel insists on installing stuff I don't use>
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:17:10 -0400
So tell me, Larry, would you really rather have tens to hundreds of
thousands of individual library files to find and choose from when
you're installing or developing software, or hundreds of packages, each
containing dozens to hundreds of library files, most of which you
probably don't need for a particular application? And may not need for
any application you will use?

John Perry

The question you pose suggest that the alternative to bogus dependencies
is to get rid of packages all together.

That is not at all true, and you know it.

In an open-source world, where hundreds of independent workers develop
their own software and there is no Big Boss to enforce consistency and
control configuration, it is inevitable that there will be a lot of
duplication and a lot of modules that almost work together, or almost
provide exactly what a particular developer thinks he needs.

I think what we have is well worth the penalty in bloat and duplication.
If you don't, do what the embedded developers do -- sift through the
libraries and pick the individual files you want, or roll your own.

Sure, we might do the QNX thing and have much of what linux gives us in
a package that's a tiny fraction of the size of gnu/linux. But QNX has
a Big Boss who can impose that kind of constraint on his dozen or two
developers.

And you have to buy qnx.

jp