Re: [opensuse] WiFi scanning in Knetworkmanager not that great
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:45:12 -0400
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> [07-08-08 13:07]:
It should not be necessary to go to a command line and run iwlist, which is impossible for someone to do, if they don't have root priviledges to run it.

since when?? -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22128 2006-04-22 22:26 /usr/sbin/iwlist

it's owned by root, but freely available for anyone to run unless you
have changed the privileges.

Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of something else that, while it can be run by a mere mortal, won't give access to the hardware, unless root. Still, why should it be necessary to run a command to do something that should be available in Knetworkmanager?