Re: [opensuse] WiFi scanning in Knetworkmanager not that great
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:20:39 -0400
James Knott wrote:

[snip]

I have read that link and still think it's broken. Right now, I'm in my office and connected to our WiFi. I know there are 9 or 10 other access points in this building, but I can't see any other than ours in that "New Connection". If I wanted to change to another connection, how can I do it, if I don't know the name? As to having 20 access points available, in Windows, you can scroll through the list. Why can't that be done here. I can see what's available, by using iwlist (which also requires using grep ESSID to get a plain list), but why can't knetworkmanager do it? That is a fundamental function that is missing. It should show *ALL* available networks, when you want to see them. It should not be necessary to go to a command line and run iwlist, which is impossible for someone to do, if they don't have root priviledges to run it.

I had the opportunity to really test this yesterday in a location where I know there are 12 strong signals. I could only see 1 that I had knetworkmanager preconfigured for. So yes, this IS broken.....it worked in 10.3.

Fred

--
This message originated from a Linux computer using Open Source software:
openSuSE Linux 11.0 No Gates, no Windows....just Linux - STABLE & SECURE!