Re: [opensuse] WiFi scanning in Knetworkmanager not that great
  • From: Helmut Schaa <hschaa@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:34:15 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2008 18:20:50 schrieb James Knott:
Mike McMullin wrote:
On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 13:05 +0000, JP Rosevear wrote:
On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 16:50 -0400, James Knott wrote:
I've noticed that the scanning in Knetworkmanager in OpenSUSE 11.0
doesn't work very well. Right now, as I sit at my desk, it only shows
4 networks and doesn't even show mine. On the other hand, my N800
shows 8 networks, including mine. I think this part should go back to
the way it worked in 10.3, as that worked well.

You need to run iwlist for comparison to see if its NetworkManager or
the driver messing up.

I've been following this thread, and I get one network showing in
KNetWorkManager (11.0 on KDE3.5), my own, but iwlist shows the normal
five (4 other plus my own).

Right now, iwlist shows the same as Knetworkmanager, except it's not
showing my own network. I've tried it a few times and iwlist usually
shows more than Knetworkmanager.

I wonder if the Knetworkmanager from 10.3 will work with 11? If so, I
may switch back.

No, it won't as 11.0 ships with NetworkManager 0.7 which is completely
incompatible with NetworkManager 0.6.x and therefore with the KNM shipped
with 10.3.

Helmut