Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:01:21 -0600
On Sunday 02 March 2008 11:05:05 am Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:
To concentrate on hardware alone you have to exclude Factory and
mprime as contributing factors to failure. Installation lasts longer
than simply run something else, like kernel compilation.

I still don't understand what it will do, Rajko - running mprime is a
well established stresstest. Doing a compilation run of <anything> is
also a stresstest, but it won't add to or subtract from the problem.
That's why I don't understand your suggestion.

Well, I'm just now running a parallel kernel compile. So far it's doing
fine, and has in fact driven the CPU temp higher than mprime was able
(before crashing). I think that means I can conclude it's _not_ a
thermal problem.

Thanks :-)

The idea was simple troubleshooting technique to replace every part of non
working system that you don't understand completely how it works.
In your case you replaced or checked all except CPU, Factory and mprime, so it
was time to do that.

The mprime is the easiest to replace, just run something else, and that is why
it was first on the list.

Now you can run kernel compilation from script, that will compile, than 'make
mrproper' and than again compile for hours to see how it works in long run,
ie. how it handles real thermal stress, but at least you know that mprime was
at least part of the problem, if not the only problem.
I agree with you that thermal problem should be put on rest for now.

Jim metioned interaction between GUI and mprime as possible reason.
It can be as mprime is console application.
It can be that you found bug in either gcc, kernel, glibc, mprime or Phenom.
I'll see to compile mprime and test here and post result on:

Note that it is different list than opensuse-test.

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal