Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 17:47:31 +0100
Rajko M. wrote:

Reading all attempts to test the board with mprime I can't understand
what you are trying to archive.

It's a perfectly normal thing to do - in industry it's often also
referred to as a burn-in test. I am simply trying to verify that the
CPU+board+memory+cooling+powersupply constellation is sound, and that
nothing breaks when it is stressed. It is the only way to ensure the
entire system will also produce correct and dependable results during
normal operation.
So far I've determined that the setup is _not_ dependable under load,
which implies it cannot be depended 100% even whilst under less load.

Are you looking for motherboard that will survive 100% usage of basic
computer components for long periods of time (hours, days, more), or
you just want to have dependable board for normal usage that will not
break in the middle of the compilation.

I'd prefer both really, but I can accept that the hardware components on
this board may not last as long as those on a board made for use in a
server.

What you have by now:
- well known program,
- compiled for Factory,
- on new motherboard.
- you are using this combination for a week or two.
- test in cold air tells that problem has something to do with
overheating - increasing memory voltage to 2.6 V has some success

You have to take out some factors from equation to find solution.

Yes, and that is exactly what I've done. I replaced the powersupply. I
checked each of the memory stick individually and in pairs. I replaced
the motherboard. I've taken extra special care when I seated the
CPU+heatsink+fan. I have avoided replaing the CPU as I don't really
think the problem is there, plus it's somewhat costly.

To concentrate on hardware alone you have to exclude Factory and
mprime as contributing factors to failure. Installation lasts longer
than simply run something else, like kernel compilation.

I still don't understand what it will do, Rajko - running mprime is a
well established stresstest. Doing a compilation run of <anything> is
also a stresstest, but it won't add to or subtract from the problem.
That's why I don't understand your suggestion.
Not using mprime is like saying "hmm, mprime breaks it, so if I dont use
it, it won't break".

You may want to go higher with memory voltage, if possible on that MB,
but check with RAM manufacturer is that OK.

Yep, I did that and I checked. I tried +0.05V and +0.1V which is just
within the manufacturer specs of 1.8V+-0.1V. Didn't change much
though.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich