Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:10:58 +0100
Randall R Schulz wrote:

On Saturday 01 March 2008 06:42, Per Jessen wrote:
You will undoubtedly remember the discussion about the stability
problems on my new workstation from a couple of weeks ago. I'll
quickly sum up -

You've posted here before??

Only once or twice - you could easily have missed it :-)

Given all this, my next hunch is that there is some kind of
concurrency bug, either in the Linux kernel or in the processor
itself. I know both are in the realm of "grasping at straws," but it
begins to seem more likely this is a design defect, be it in the
software or some portion of the hardware (or its microcode).

I'm grasping at the very same straws. I did run the system with a
serial console hooked up to see if I could catch anything that way, but
I saw no output.

There's one thermal test (at least) you could try, which is to
artifically / externally impose some extra cooling while the test
runs. I don't know if a sustained stream from a cooling spray is
practical over the duration usually required to experience the
failure. Perhaps you could run the system in a walk-in freezer with
the case open and extra fans directed at the CPU and chipset portion
of the mainboard?

I did in fact run the system outdoor two weeks ago when we had about 0
degrees - it wasn't a very conclusive test. The system did hold up for
longer, but eventually still fell over. I also tried your second
suggestion with a large fan directed at the CPU and chipset - didn't
change a thing.

Perhaps if you could get Gigabyte to replicate your results they'd
take it up as an engineering issue on their end?

That's what I'm hoping for. I've got an open report with Gigabyte, but
as it's a weekend, I probably won't see a response until Monday or
Tuesday.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich