Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.0 and the Non-ready KDE4
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:02:13 -0600
On Thursday 14 February 2008 09:33:09 pm JB2 wrote:
  Then *why* was kde4 apps substituted in to the 10.3 release!?

kdepim3 package has kalarmd (KDE3) version. Though I guess that you actually
want KOrganizer or Kontact (Personal Information Manager).

kde4-kalarm is KDE4 application, but version in main openSUSE repository is
now obsolete and it will not work with current KDE4 either. Newer version is
not yet available. It seems that there is no one that will maintain that
application.

It makes
absolutely no sense, especially since so many of the kde4 things aren't
working correctly.

KDE4 version on DVD is 3.9.something. Current is 4.0.1 in repositories and it
looks way better. Complains here are on Alpha version of openSUSE 11.0, which
is early test and problems that one can see can be completely unrelated to
KDE4.

All it did was waste space on the DVD that could have
been filled with apps that work and people could use.

I'm tempted to ask: Like?

I barely have something to install after installation from 650 MB CD.
The install DVD and additional DVD with repositories (retail box) gives
everything that openSUSE offers, so there is nothing left out.

Besides, some people like to have working system, others to have new stuff,
and no one in the world can satisfy both groups. World is going on, KDE1 and
2 are past, KDE3 will be there for quite some time from now, but KDE4 is the
future.

While some people can fix 50 years old car, other can fix 10 years old
software, most of us mortals must follow trend and accept what experts offer.
That means to start learning KDE4 and help developers as much as we can. It
is in our interest to do so.

With KDE guys that improved KDE4 from sketchy (ver. 3.9) to working desktop
(ver. 4.0) in 2 months it should be easy to cooperate. All they ask is some
facts, not flat "it doesn't work". It resembles me on youngsters that don't
know what they want, but want that now.

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette