Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.0 and the Non-ready KDE4
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:44:57 -0500
Kai Ponte wrote:
On Wednesday 13 February 2008 10:56:11 pm Alexey Eremenko wrote:
Is the 11.0 Build going to default to this alpha-stage

> pile, and give newbies (who don't know better) a totally
> HORRIBLE impression of both Suse and Linux?

you're not a software developer are you?
I'm a BETA tester, so he is correct. KDE4 works like Alpha version.

The comment was made to Aaron.
11 is now an alpha version. It behaves exactly as I would expect and I see no reason to be out there bashing the developers for a product that hasn't even been released yet.

I'm not bashing the KDE devs.

I'm just saying that for anyone to expect them to do
turn KDE 4 from Alpha-level to release quality by the
time of SuSE's 11.0 decision date (first week of April)
is just completely unrealistic.

As far as I know, KDE does not have any full-time
devs on the payroll. That means that the devs are
all doing something else to earn a paycheck during
the day.

Having been doing software development since '79 and professionally since '93, I know this is the path one takes. You put the version out there - call them alpha, beta, RCx, whatever - and test the crap out of them until you get something workable.

Hopefully, the Novell and SUSE devs will have it all worked out by the time RC1 comes around. At this time we're looking at an *Alpha* code that is expected to have bugs and other interaction issues. Even though KDE 4.0 is

Exactly. It's part of the development process.

released, we've yet to see KDE 4.0 (final) in openSUSE 11.0 until these Alpha versions. There will be interaction issues and they may (or may not) be able to complete these by release time. As oft stated, they'll make the decision as to go forward in a month or so.

I'll be the first to start a flamefest on an application that doesn't work the way it should (Zypper under 10.0 and Beagle for example) but there's no basis for making gripes about releasing buggy alpha software, since it is expected to be buggy.

The point is, it's NOT going to be a production-ready desktop
by the SuSE 11.0 decision date (April 7th or so). I have no
problem with including it. But unless a miracle occurs, the
wise choice is to make the default KDE desktop KDE 3, or else
you're going to burn a lot of first-time users -- who will
then either not trust SuSE (if coming from another distro)
or not trust Linux period (if coming from Windows).

It's been too long since I've programmed anything of that
sort of size. I would end up introducing more problems
than I solved.