Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.0 and the Non-ready KDE4
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 01:28:03 -0500
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Feb 12, 2008 1:13 PM, Alexey Eremenko <al4321@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Feb 11, 2008 5:04 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kai Ponte wrote:

I doubt they'd release a buggy 4.0 on a major distribution
> point version such as 11.0.

10.1 YOU and zmd!

Exactly. This is what I fear most. I have *skipped* SUSE Linux 10.1
entirely due to the unresolved bugs in it (in package manager). I
wouldn't like to skip openSUSE 11.0 as well, and if KDE4 will be
default, it is likely to happen.

You guys are getting paranoid.

The YOU / zmd stuff was a special case because of what it does. ie.
They handle security releases and SUSE does not provide security
releases for the alpha/beta/rc releases. Thus no true testing. (Yes,
they did provide a couple small test patches, but it was not much of a
test.)

Obviously.

KDE4 is being fully tested via the alpha / beta /rc process and it is
already in the roadmap to decide on a plan by April. The options are
3.5, 4.0, 4.1

If KDE 4 is in Alpha right now, and missing some of the most fundamental functionality, do you really expect it to be anywhere
past Beta in a mere 8 weeks?

If you want to ensure they make the "right" decision (whatever that
is), then you should be making as many real / specific bugzillas as
appropriate. That way when April rolls around the team making the
decision will know the true status of KDE4, instead of just have a
bunch of generic "the sky is falling" comments.

I'm not saying that the roof is caving in.

I'm saying that it's not even built yet -- and there's another
load of scaffolding outside that still has to be put up FIRST.

Greg