Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.0 and the Non-ready KDE4
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:55:17 -0500
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Monday 11 February 2008 14:29:13 Kai Ponte wrote:
I doubt they'd release a buggy 4.0 on a major distribution point version
such as 11.0.

SUSE (S.u.S.E. | SuSE | SUSE) has always been early with new KDE releases since day one. Why should this be any different

And far more people would complain if it wasn't included

Discuss if it should be the default or not, not whether it should be included, because it should and it will

Until KDE 4 has caught up to KDE 3 in functionality and
configurability, KDE 3 should remain the default.

The last thing I want is my KDE-3 configurations to be
lost because KDE-4 doesn't know what to do with them,
and then when KDE-4 finally catches up, have to re-do
those configurations again.

Leave KDE-4 as the non-default until it's ready for prime
time. Keeping KDE-4 as optional on a distro as large as
OpenSUSE will provide pressure on the KDE devs to keep
their eye on preserving current functionality instead of
fixating exclusively on eye-candy and other bells and
whistles which maybe amusing, but of no actual value.

Anders