Re: [opensuse] openSUSE and faxes
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:53:47 +0100 (CET)
Thanks for writing, Istvan.

I have found the instructions that you mention. They would
help if I could find an appropriate package of efax-gtk; do
you know where I could find one for x86_64? I have spent
most of the afternoon looking for one, without success.
The sites mentioned by Google either are about news, or
they don't answer at all.

Hi Stan:

I don't think you can find an rpm.
I have compiled myself the efax-gtk package from source.
I could send you the package but I use 32 bit system so it's
not good for you. However compiling the package is very easy
and runs smooth (at least on my system). The guide explains
from point to point how to do it.

1. Make sure you have the required packages.
I have gtk2, gtk2-devel, libgnome (2.20xxx), libgnome-devel
(2.20xxx), libsigc++2, libsig++2-devel. Naturally you need
gcc and make. You might need checkinstall if you want make
an rpm package.

2. Download efax-gtk source file (efax-gtk-3.0.16.src.tgz) from
the site the guide refers to.

3. Uncompress the source.
tar -zxvf efax-gtk-3.0.16.src.tgz # this creates efax-gtk-
3.0.16.src.tgz folder

cd efax-gtk-3.0.16.src.tgz
./configure --prefix=/usr/local # files will be installed here
make
su

Now you can run make install to install the package or
checkinstall make install to make an rpm. The rpm can be
installed by rpm.

4. Create a fax printer. The easiest way is:
as root:
# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p FaxPrinter -E -v socket://localhost:9900

5. Now make a copy of efax-gtkrc in your home dir as follows,
as a normal user (not root)
cp /usr/local/etc/efax-gtkrc ~/.efax-gtkrc

5. Edit your .efax-gtkrc file. At the end of the file uncomment
"WORK_SUBDIR:" and specify a working directory, eg FAX
WORK_SUBDIR: FAX
Save the edited file.

6. Create the FAX dir in your home dir. (mkdir FAX)
7. Now run in a console:
efax-gtk
and in the opening application go to File/Settings:
Modem tab:
Serial device: usually this is "ttyS0" without quotes.
Lock file: /home/<your-user-name>/FAX/lock (here you must
give absolute path!)

8. Now you can start to use the fax program.

I hope this helps.

IG

Papírképek akár ingyen! Digitális fényképezőgépek már 5000 Ft ajándék
fotókidolgozással a FotoMarket Online Fotóáruházban!
http://ad.adverticum.net/b/cl,1,6022,99786,162268/click.prm