Re: [opensuse] Need help doing a batch conversation lf - cr/lf
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 01:35:01 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2007-12-08 at 14:19 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

And you can have them in linux, too. No problem. Why should it be a
problem?

As you say, they're not fundamentally a problem. In fact, Linux forbids
only two characters from file names, slash ('/') and NUL. Windows has
many more prohibited characters.

But they are an annoyance, at a minimum, in command-line programming.
Many scripts don't consider them and thus fail to quote variables that
contain them when passing them as arguments to commands they invoke or
as operands in other operations the script applies to those names.
Then, when a name with spaces or other characters special to the shell
is encountered, things go awry.

As a user, I use them. As a programmer, when I write a script, I curse myself :-p

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.