Re: List Protocols. WAS: Re: [opensuse] Need help doing a batch conversation lf - cr/lf
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 17:55:50 -0500
On Saturday 08 December 2007 04:22:41 pm Randal Jarrett wrote:
On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 21:11 -0500, Bob S wrote:
On Friday 07 December 2007 12:54:54 pm Randal Jarrett wrote:

It is nice that you have your personal preference.

However, please allow me to give you some advice. I am not a "list
police" or whatever. Many new subscribers don't know the protocol of
this list. That is, that in this list we prefer bottom posting. We don't
even look at the top. We look at the flow of information in a logical
mmanner.When we reply we trim unneccessary information and bottom post.
That is the way it has been for many years and will always remain so.

You are only hurting yourself with top-posting. There are several
hundred subscribers on this list and a great deal of them are very
knowledegable old-timers with a vast amount of expertise and experience
who are here to help people with their favorite distro. They get tired of
telling the new people to bottom post. So what do these very
knowledgeable people do when they see a top post? "Plonk" the request is
deleted. No reply from someone who can help you.

You seem like an intelligent courteous person. Do us the courtesy of
following the protocol of this list. Your choice.

Bob S

I never said that I wouldn't bottom post.
After my post about my preference I read the List FAQs about
bottom posting. I will use it from now on. I really wasn't
trying to stir up a hornet's nest. (I did that once in my younger
years and learned my lesson).

I did notice that several members replied about the top/bottom subject
but neglected the list protocol about changing the subject line when
going off topic in the message. :-)

I won't direct any comments to any individuals about picking one sin to
preach about while committing others. ;-)

Randal

Randal,

"Touche"

Welcome to the list.