Re: [opensuse] You can say NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard
  • From: john.janmaat@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:30:48 -0300
Quoting Richard Bos <ml@xxxxxxxxxx>:

So it's better to have 2 different standards definitions for e.g. for speed
km/h s miles/h - temperature celsius vs fahrenheit, lenght, like: 1 meter and
1 inch?
Ask NASA about the latter.  Didn't they loose a satelite because the mixed
meters with inches or something like that.
From this alone one can see that it is better to have 1 standard to be used by
many applications.  Now this gives total freedom to the customer.

If Microsoft is willing to commit to a standard, and therefore not change the format in which documents are saved without first getting ISO approval for the changes, great! Microsoft may get to claim to be the originator of the standard, but I expect it will not be able to change that standard quite so easily if it is ISO recognized. Remember that one of Microsoft's biggest advantages is that it develops its own standard and then continually changes it, thus making it difficult for people not using Microsoft products to share files, view media on the net, etc. With an established standard that Microsoft agrees to adhere to, everybody is, in the long run, better off.

John.

--
Richard Bos
We are borrowing the world of our children,