Re: [opensuse] Re-installing from sources
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:12:45 -0800
Sergey,

On Monday 15 January 2007 08:03, Sergey Mkrtchyan wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm experiencing the following problem.
>
> I've installed GNU Scientific library (./configure, make, make
> install). But now when I try to compile a a simple C code which uses
> function from that library it gives an error of missing file
>
> In file included from euler.c:4:
> /usr/local/include/gsl/gsl_sf_bessel.h:26:26: error: gsl/gsl_mode.h:
> No such file or directory
>
> I've checked, I'm missing the file in that directory, which is
> included in gsl_sf_bessel.h, but I don't remember having any problems
> installing it.

Did you look at the output of "make install" to ensure there were no
errors?

> The same thing goes just fine on friend's machine, which I do not
> have access to.
>
> Should I re-install gsl library? If yes, how to do that, it was
> second or third time I installed something from sources. If not, what
> should I do?

I don't have anything else specific to offer about this particular
problem, but if you have software that needs to be installed in stock
system locations such as /usr/include but you have only a source
tarball (as in: configure; make; su -c 'make install'), then you should
consider using "checkinstall" to produce RPMs for installation. That
way you'll know if there were any file conflicts and you can reliably
reverse the effects of the installation.

Checkinstall, which is available from the stock installation sources, if
I recall correctly, does not work with every piece of software, but
when it does, it's the way to go.

> Sergey

Randall Schulz