[opensuse] Did you about this GOTCHA?
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 02:44:16 +1100
Have you ever checked to see what is inside a little insignificant directory named /.thumbnails inside your home directory?

I accidentally came across this little gem while looking for some screenshots I grabbed off the TV today.

In my /.thumbnails directory I found 12,695 files (thumbnails) totalling (only, thank heavens!) 241MB, with each file having a 32-char alphanumeric filename plus a 3-char extension (.png). And this is only 6 months worth (from July last year).

A quick look shows that it would appear that everytime you look at a graphic - using what I haven't yet worked out - a thumbnail is generated here.

Nearly 12,700 files....... Are these all read in everytime you atart something like Midnight Commander or konqueror (file manager)?

Cheers.

--
Hydrophobia, n: the fear of fire hydrants.