Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-project]
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:34:07 -0500

>On Tuesday 28 November 2006 03:41, leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> How nice if you (and all of us) could cooperate instead of
>> debating only, and in the extension perchance expect COMMON
>> DISTRIBUTIONS based on the achievements of both Ubuntu and
>> Opensuse - and a much more skilled MS-killer than
>> before ... Regards, Leif
>
>Leif,
>
>the point to use Linux should not be because you hate something else, but
>because you like it's technical superiority.
>
>What MS manipulatied this time are people that hate them and use Linux
solely
>for that reason. All others that like SUSE because it is a good operating
>system were untouched with attempt.
>
>--
>Regards,
>Rajko M.
>--

Hey, maybe you've missed something. I can speak only for myself, but I
don't hate MS, and I don't hate XP. It's just that I don't trust MS. I'm
seriously afraid that they will start a "rental" program for their OS, ("Send
in $100 every January first, or your system will stop working") and
that the next version will obsolete a lot of stuff that runs now. For me,
XP has been a very reliable OS--like they finally got it right. Sure, I
need to have virus checkers and spyware catchers, and registry mechanic,
but that sort of thing will be needed in any OS that has a majority of
users. And I don't use any MS software except the OS itself. So I
try to learn Linux, in the hope that when MS gets too close to the bone,
there will be someplace to go. I'm just not enough of a geek to choose
an OS on its technical merits. (And I do not appreciate an OS that requires
a PostScript printer to work right, or a magician to make anything else work.)

Just my 2c plain.

--doug