Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-project] Invitation to OpenSUSE developers
  • From: Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:47:03 +0100
On Saturday 25 November 2006 23:03, John Andersen wrote:
> I don't like everything they have done, but then I don't like
> everything Novell has done for Suse either.
>
> As an aside, I don't have any major quality issues with Kubuntu
> and Xubuntu - at least none that rise to the level of the broken
> ZMD debacle of recent history. It would probably be polite to
> have pot wait a couple of releases before calling the kettle black.

Sure, the distro is really too basic to be broken. Ubuntu basically integrate
and freeload what debian, novell, redhat and others produce, without further
innovation, and appart of a installer that basically copies a image to the
disk and gives you a empty desktop with common applications, there is not
more beyond that. Lot of users have enough with it, and that is ok.

Once you need to configure stuff (as Daniel Molkentin says very well in his
blog) then you realize how basic the distro is.

with Novell, Redhat and other distros, you can expect some controversial
changes to be done, because there is some risk taken in order to innovate:

- 3D desktop was introduced
- Desktops with usability changes in mind.
- OpenOffice native desktop integration
- ZenWorks provides a enterprise level software deployment system, and SLE is
ready to be used with that.
- zypp patch management.
- Xen was introduced in the kernel.
- networkmanager. Basically maintained by Redhat and Novell. The kde
integration is Novell work.
- SUSE is one of the few distros where you can setup strange raids+lvm+etc
with a few clicks.
- YaST remains the best configuration tool for Linux. Opensource, and
supporting 3 user interface backends.
- The opensuse build service is one of the most innovative services provided
to the community, and it is opensource (launchpad anyone?)

The community behind openSUSE is who gives us direction when we innovate and
break. 10.2 is a perfect example in how the community gave its feedback to
fix as much as possible what we broke in 10.1. There is no valid excuse to
not ship a high quality distro.

To be honest, I am proud of how broken our factory sometimes is, because it
shows how much we want to fix bug #1.

just my 2 cents.

Duncan