Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-project] Invitation to OpenSUSE developers
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:03:08 -0900
On Saturday 25 November 2006 12:38, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Nov 24 2006 22:15, John Andersen wrote:
> >On Friday 24 November 2006 22:06, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> >> Where have you seen distributions collaborate, lately ? or at all ?
> >> And don't tell me Debian and Ubuntu, that's abuse (Ubuntu abusing
> >> Debian, not the opposite), not collaboration.
> >
> >Really?
> >Ubuntu is probably the single biggest contributor to Debian, both
> >in terms of money and manpower.
>
> #define quality  suse
> #define quantity debian_ubuntu
>
> Quality is better than quantity.

Perfectly acceptable definitions, but It wasn't the point I was
addressing.

I was merely pointing out that Canonical has spent more money
and staff time contributing to Debian than anyone else, and in
so doing, raised it from a minor player with a political axe to grind
to a major player.

I don't like everything they have done, but then I don't like
everything Novell has done for Suse either.

As an aside, I don't have any major quality issues with Kubuntu
and Xubuntu - at least none that rise to the level of the broken
ZMD debacle of recent history. It would probably be polite to
have pot wait a couple of releases before calling the kettle black.

--
John Andersen