[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-project] Invitation to OpenSUSE developers
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:21:20 +0100

Mark, welcome on this list,

Am Friday 24 November 2006 19:16 schrieb Mark Shuttleworth:
> I know that posting this message to an OpenSUSE list will be
> controversial. I'm greatly respectful of the long tradition of
> excellence in the SuSE product and community and have no desire to
> undermine that with this post. That said, I think the position taken by
> Novell leadership in their contract with Microsoft is hugely
> disrespectful of the contributions of thousands of GPL programmers and
> contributors to SuSE, and I know that many are looking for a new place
> to get involved that is not subject to the same arbitrary executive
> intervention. Ubuntu is one option, as are Gentoo, Debian and other
> communities. Please accept this mail in that spirit.

I do accept that your disagreement with the contract, but I would like to ask
you not to create the impression that SUSE or openSUSE.org is acting against
GPL programmers. There is no practical change for GPL programmers by this
contract (only for commercial Novell customers there is a change), anything
else is FUD spread between open source communities.

FUD is something what an open source project should keep away, since quite a
lot of the developers from Canonical and SUSE do work together in various GPL
based open source projects and we should avoid any bad blood to keep the good
atmosphere there. FUD does divide us and do not make us stronger together.

good evening
adrian

PS: seriously, I promise you that your baby (Ubuntu) is known enough, so
everybody who want to switch will find it :) There is no reason for risking
exact the situation some certain large commercial software company would like
to have. Lets show them that in any doubt the open modell of open source
communities, even when they may be competitive, remains to be stronger.

--

Adrian Schroeter
openSUSE.org project manager