[opensuse] Re: Invitation to OpenSUSE developers
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:36:02 +0100 (MET)

• From: Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
• Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:16:57 +0000
>Novell???s decision to go to great lengths to circumvent the patent
>framework clearly articulated in the GPL has sent shockwaves through
>the community. If you are an OpenSUSE developer who is concerned about
>the long term consequences of this pact, you may be interested in some
>of the events happening next week as part of the Ubuntu Open Week:
>
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
>
>We are hosting a series of introductory sessions for people who want to
>join the Ubuntu community - in any capacity, including developers and
>package maintainers. If you want to find out how Ubuntu works, how to
>contribute or participate, or how to get specific items addressed,
>there will be something for you. I’ll also be on IRC on Tuesday 28th to
>answer any questions you may have of me specifically, such as Luis’
>questions about our position on software patents at
>http://tieguy.org/blog/2006/11/22/and-ubuntus-patent-stand/

No thanks. Although I do not get all of the Novell deal or the FUD and
FUD everyone is talking about, and even if Novell is doing 'Something
Bad Everyone Should Frown About', I'd rather give my developer power to
something not Debian-based, possibly extending beyond Linux*.

-`J'

* Not necessarily Windows, but thinking of BSD and Solaris.