Re: [opensuse] Invitation to OpenSUSE developers
  • From: Hugo Costelha <hugo.costelha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:37:18 +0000
On Friday 24 November 2006 18:16, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Novell’s decision to go to great lengths to circumvent the patent
> framework clearly articulated in the GPL has sent shockwaves through the
> community. If you are an OpenSUSE developer who is concerned about the
> long term consequences of this pact, you may be interested in some of
> the events happening next week as part of the Ubuntu Open Week:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
>
> We are hosting a series of introductory sessions for people who want to
> join the Ubuntu community - in any capacity, including developers and
> package maintainers. If you want to find out how Ubuntu works, how to
> contribute or participate, or how to get specific items addressed, there
> will be something for you. I’ll also be on IRC on Tuesday 28th to answer
> any questions you may have of me specifically, such as Luis’ questions
> about our position on software patents at
> http://tieguy.org/blog/2006/11/22/and-ubuntus-patent-stand/
>
> There are a couple of sessions that would be particularly interesting
> for folks familiar with OpenSUSE. The Kubuntu team is hosting some
> events during the week to look at KDE and Ubuntu and to discuss the
> roadmap of their project. There are also a few events being hosted by
> the Ubuntu Desktop team’s, which I think should include some discussion
> of the ideas that came from the recent Ubuntu Developer Summit in
> Mountain View. There are a couple of Packaging 101 and Package
> Maintenance sessions too, specifically for developers.
>
> Ubuntu is structured to empower our community to get things done, and to
> maximise the opportunity for collaboration between teams that share a
> common vision (even if it’s not 100% of their vision, such as between
> the Gnome, KDE and XFCE desktop teams). While we’re always open to new
> members, we thought it would be a good idea to identify a dedicated week
> where new members would be the focus for our whole project.
>
> If you have an interest in being part of a vibrant community that cares
> about keeping free software widely available and protecting the rights
> of people to get it free of charge, free to modify, free of murky
> encumbrances and “undisclosed balance sheet liabilities”, then please do
> join us.
>
> I know that posting this message to an OpenSUSE list will be
> controversial. I'm greatly respectful of the long tradition of
> excellence in the SuSE product and community and have no desire to
> undermine that with this post. That said, I think the position taken by
> Novell leadership in their contract with Microsoft is hugely
> disrespectful of the contributions of thousands of GPL programmers and
> contributors to SuSE, and I know that many are looking for a new place
> to get involved that is not subject to the same arbitrary executive
> intervention. Ubuntu is one option, as are Gentoo, Debian and other
> communities. Please accept this mail in that spirit.

There are about 15 days to the release of openSUSE 10.2 GoldMaster, the best
distribution to be available by that time, so probably there isn't too much
time next week to look other ways.

But indeed, collaboration among all and learning from each other, is what is
needed, even between Ubuntu and openSUSE.

(Just my 2 cents)

Hugo