Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: Lev Lafayette <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:07:49 +1100
On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 18:25 -0500, Joe Zitnik wrote:

> You underestimate people.
>
> I work in an enterprise with less than a thousand people. Because of
> those people, we went from a Word Perfect shop to a MS Office shop.
> Why, because they ran it at home. People see Microsoft advertising
> everywhere, and that's what drives their decisions. I'd wager no one,
> and I mean no one, at our organization has ever heard of Ubuntu, or most
> any other flavor of Linux. Worse yet, the CEOs haven't either. Do you
> think they run MS because it's technically superior? To the contrary,
> MS failings are widely publicized, and it's STILL dominant. You expect
> those people to choose Linux?

Just for the record, when Linux Users Victoria did their Software
Freedom Day walk around Melbourne handing out Ubuntu CDs, not only were
people aware of Linux, they were also aware of Ubuntu as a distribution.

Maybe that's just Melbourne, but I think it's more general. So I'll take
you up on your wager. Gentleman's bet of course. Run a survey of your
less than 1,000 people and I bet you $1 that, apart from yourself,
someone has heard of Ubuntu.

Ball in your court,

Lev