Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: "Joe Zitnik" <JZitnik@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:48:34 -0500
I hate to break this to everybody, but this isn't about you and what you
run at home. This is about the future of linux in the enterprise.
Novell has attorneys just like MS, and believe me, this wasn't entered
in to blindly by either side. Just to accommodate all the conspiracy
theorists out there: Say Microsoft decides to sue. Maybe they have
just enough patent infringement evidence to bring a lawsuit, maybe they
don't. Maybe they don't care. What they do have is deep enough pockets
to bring long extended lawsuits that drain huge amounts of money from
linux distros, something Novell is now immune to for five years.
Remember, IBM doesn't own a linux distro (although they too have thrown
money behind Novell) and neither does Oracle, so it's not like there are
really deep pockets out there to support Linux. During that time, if a
company wants to use linux, MS has said it is going to play nice with
SuSE, and right now, only SuSE. How can that be bad for Novell? I keep
reading about SCO, well SCO is about to go broke because they aren't
making a whole lot of money, and the lawsuits they brought are draining
what little financial resources they do have.
As for the beginning of my statement, can you imagine a major company
saying "We are going to standardize on Ubuntu in our enterprise." If
you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. There are two major
players in enterprise Linux, SuSE and RedHat, and RedHat has already
said their interest lies in the server-side of things, not the desktop,
so that leaves Novell. Instead of being so pissed off, be happy that a
company might get it's Linux foot in the door. It's the beginning of
what Linux people have been hoping for.