Re: [SLE] Problems with 10.1 and raid1
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:24:13 +0200
Michael Menge wrote:

I have clonend a System with tar and sfdisk and now i have Problems Booting the System. The Rootfs is on /dev/md1, Swap on /dev/md0
[...]
I dont understand why the devieces for /dev/md1 are not found but the devices for /dev/md0 and why they are found on the original system.

For safety you might want to remove the resume=/dev/md0 boot parameter from grub/menu.lst while you're debugging the problem. The "attempting manual resume" message looks suspicious to me, that might invoke a relict from your cloning. (Resuming from a mirrored swap disk didn't work for me anyhow in 10.0; I didn't try it in 10.1 yet.)

Furthermore, you might want to check with mdadm --detail /dev/md1 and mdadm --examine on the disks that are part of that meta-device that the UUIDs of the md and the disks are the same and that they match the entry in /etc/mdadm.conf.

I don't know exactly how the bootup code (i.e., madam --assemble --scan) determines which partition belongs into the which md; but I read that the UUIDs have something to do with it. At least they are recorded in the md superblock, and mdadm.conf lists them as the only information -- so what else is used for scanning and assembling? (That might be wrong, though.)

Best,
Joachim