Re: [SLE] Getting SuSE 10.1 recogising my SATA disk.
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:11:59 -0400
On Saturday 15 July 2006 11:48, Matt Bottrell wrote:
> Short and sweet.
>
> Long time Linux user.... and been using both RH and SuSE for many years.
>
> Finally bought a new machine (AMD AM2 socket based (Pacifica support).
>
> Anyway... time to move from my old Dual Core X2 4400+ machine to my new AM2
> machine.
>
> Motherboard is an Asus M2V (See specs here:
> http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1171&l1=3&l2=101&l3=30
>5)
>
> Stuck in a Seagate 500GB SATA-II disk.
>
> SATA chipsets on MB are as follows:
>
> * VIA(r) VT8237A South Bridge:
> 2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
> 2 x Serial ATA with RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD
> * Marvell 88SE6121:
> 1 x Serial ATAI/II
> 1 x External Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard disk (SATA On-the-Go)
>

> Unable to get the SATA disk recognised under either chipsets/ports. :(

Clarify.... have you done a fresh install of your system (not sure whether it
is 10.0 or 10.1 at this point)?

If not, you probably need to add some modules into /etc/sysconfig/kernel as
in:

INITRD_MODULES="piix ata_piix aic7xxx processor thermal fan jbd ext3"

and then run mk_initrd.

The first 3 are most likely the culprits.