Re: [SLE] Skype sound problems in 10.0
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 18:36:48 -0400
On Thursday 11 May 2006 14:43, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> > > Well, here is the result of l ds* gives following
> > > crw-rw-rw- 1 cbvn audio 14, 3 2006-05-11 21:02 dsp
> > > crw------- 1 cbvn audio 14, 19 2006-05-11 21:02 dsp1

Hi Constant,

I have an idea... I'd like to see if we can't convince your system to
configure and behave more like mine and other people's that only have
one /dev/dsp (you *did* say you're running on-board only, no separate sound
card, right?)

Please try the following:

* uninstall your sound chip/card with YaST
* log out of KDE (close session only)
* Ctl+Alt+F1 at the greeter to switch to tty1 console
* log in as root
* drop to run level 3 ('init 3' to shut down KDE and X)
* delete the file /etc/modprobe.d/sound again
* delete /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp
* run the following commands:
rpm -e kdemultimedia3-mixer (removes the mixer, can be reinstalled)
ldconfig
init 5 && exit
* log into KDE
* open a shell, 'su -' to root
* run the following commands:
rcalsasound stop
rm /etc/asound.state
rcalsasound start
alsactl store
then run:
alsaconf -L /home/cbvn/Documents/alsaconf.log
* configure your sound card
* exit from root and from the shell

alsaconf will log your sound card configuration session while using alsaconf,
which is what you're trying this time instead of YaST.

What you want to see is a plain vanilla /dev/dsp with permissions matching
mine (posted previously.) If this procedure cleans up that anomaly, I'd be
inclined to remove every trace of Skype, download the latest rpm and install
it again from scratch before testing it.

Good luck!

Carl

< Previous Next >