Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:33:19 +0200
Not to mention all the engineers in the 21th century who have to
have to revert to 18th century measurement "standards" when they try
to speak with their US collegues.

Which is really sad since America officially went metric in the early
1970's... 1974 if I remember right, followed a couple years later
(1978) by Canada.

Oh well <shrug>

If I have any vote, I'd say leave all the applications SUSE provides
with the A4 defaults. The US and Canada are the only countries in the
world (that I know of) who still use the old non-standard
papersizes... although, Canada in it's typical schizophrenic way
actually uses both ISO and US paper sizes and standards (I can say
that since I'm Canadian :-) )

Just as an aside, have any of you actually looked at the design of ISO
paper? It's quite elegant and very mathmatical. I love the ratio of
the sides of all ISO pages... the height divided by the width is
always the square root of 2.

There is a good writeup on the path behind ISO sized paper here:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

C.

< Previous Next >