Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:38:30 -0700
On Saturday 29 April 2006 05:35 am, James Knott wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:

> > And that was the cause of the failure of one (two?) NASA missions to
> > Mars: wrong unit conversions.
>
> It's amazing that Americans are still so backward as to stick with the
> Imperial measures.

Unfortuntately, the government decided to get involved in our "conversion"
back in the '70s. That said, you see the results. :)

As one who studied in West Germany and later worked in Switzerland, I can say
that it is far easier to simply "switch" than to ever try an convert. We
Ami's always tried to convert from miles to Km and from Fahrenheit to
Celsius. That is - and always will be - extremely difficult. Yet simply
changing is - in my opinion - much faster and painless. I still have no idea
how many miles 50 Km is, nor do I care. I know that it was the distance
between my buddy's house and my dorm at the univerity. I also have no idea
how many degrees Fahrenheit 24C is. I do know, however, that it was
comfortable and better than 5C.

Okay, sorry for the OT rant. :)

Now, I haven't done this in several months, but I believe that the KDE Control
Center has the ability to set the default paper size to A4 or Letter or Legal
or B4 or 42 or whatever you want.

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.