Re: [SLE] there should not be a default for paper size?? (was: [SLE] Warning to Americans!)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:49:11 +0200
Paul W. Abrahams wrote:

> On Saturday 29 April 2006 3:23 pm, Per Jessen wrote:
>>
>> As it is only the US and Canada that does not use ISO standard-size
>> paper, not having a standard would force every user of SUSE to set
>> the paper-size explicitly, whereas using the ISO paper-sizes will be
>> just fine for most people by far.
>>
> Good question: within the user population, what fraction uses A4 and
> what fraction uses US letter?

Given SUSEs European roots, I would venture a guess and say there
probably are more SUSE-users in Europe than in North-America and
Canada.

> You have to set the time zone explicitly, so why not the paper size?

Perhaps because timezone varies a lot more than paper-size? But it's a
good question - I'm sure the default paper-size could be set under YAST
somewhere.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich