Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: Peter B Van Campen <pbvanca1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:54:58 -0500

On Apr 29, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Jim Sabatke wrote:

Kevanf1 wrote:
On 29/04/06, Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday April 29 2006 08:35, James Knott wrote:

> It's amazing that Americans are still so backward as to stick with the
> Imperial measures.

We don't. The imperial gallon is 5 quarts. The US gallon is 4 quarts.
Canadians, I believe, use the imperial gallon, or used to.

Now I'm confused. A quart is two pints, yes? 8 pints equal a gallon
the same as 4 quarts. All these are indeed Imperial measures or they
are here in the UK.

I believe that it goes back to King George the Mad. He couldn't raise taxes in the colonies, but he could change the size of a pint, which I believe, IIRC, went from 20 oz. to 16 oz.

Jim

Kevin,

I remember having to buy transmission oil in Canada in 1969. the Quarts were 40 ounces. So an Imp Gallon would be 4 Imp Quarts (160 Oz) or 5 US Quarts (160 Oz).

How about Oil Barrels? Isn't the standard US Bbl 55 US Gal.? But crude oil is sold in 44 US Gal Bbls? Is ther sucha thing as a Metric Bbl?

Why did Europe drop the Metric Week and Month ( 10 Day wk, 10 Momth Year)? My favorite Metric month was "Thermadore" in the summer (Northern Hemisphere)

PeterB

Let's move this over to the OT list, please?

< Previous Next >