Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:36:01 -0400
Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 29/04/06, Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Saturday April 29 2006 08:35, James Knott wrote:
>>
>> > It's amazing that Americans are still so backward as to stick with the
>> > Imperial measures.
>>
>> We don't. The imperial gallon is 5 quarts. The US gallon is 4 quarts.
>> Canadians, I believe, use the imperial gallon, or used to.
>>

> Now I'm confused. A quart is two pints, yes? 8 pints equal a gallon
> the same as 4 quarts. All these are indeed Imperial measures or they
> are here in the UK.

A gallon is 4 quarts, but a U.S. gallon is 4 U.S. quarts. An Imperial
gallon is 4 Imperial quarts, but a U.S quart is 32 ounces, and Imperial
is 40. And of course the ounces are different sizes too, so while you
have a 4/5 ratio in the number of ounces in U.S. & Imperial gallons, the
actual volume difference is 5/6. This illustrates exactly why that
nonsense should be abandoned in favour of metric.