Re: [SLE] there should not be a default for paper size?? (was: [SLE] Warning to Americans!)
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:06:07 -0400
On Saturday 29 April 2006 6:48 pm, Peter Nikolic wrote:

> I have to admit i fail to see what is so difficult about setting your darn
> paper size when you set your printer up you get the chance to set that to
> whatever you want ..

Like many things, it's easy if you have the right knowledge and hard if you
don't. If your printer is set for the wrong size paper (letter for
Europeans, A4 for Americans), documents may print weirdly but you may not
know why. And the paper size setting for printer setup via Yast is buried
under "filter" in the configuration, which isn't terribly suggestive.

If you live in an environment where paper size is taken for granted (whichever
one it is), then you don't even know it's an issue until you run up against
the consequences of getting it wrong.

Paul

< Previous Next >