Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:17:11 -0400
On Saturday 29 April 2006 9:42 pm, Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> Laugardaginn þann 29 apríl 2006 17:17 skrifaði suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx:
> >
> > It's the office supply companies and general public and such that still
> > call 14" legal.
> >

> Well, obviously, since A4 or 14" papers aren't legal ... how on earth do
we
> ever expect Americans to adopt our systems. We can't expect them to accept
> our non-legal ways, can we.

The failure of the US and Britain to convert to the obviously more sensible
metric system isn't just a matter of stupidity or stubbornness. If nothing
else, look at the investment people have in socket wrenches calibrated in
fractions of an inch, and in the hardware that they fit onto. Or all those
machine components that are measured in inches and have to fit together.
Metric conversion is a terrifyingly expensive proposition.

I just changed the oil in my Toyota. The fitting on the plug takes a 3/16"
wrench. Should I buy a new car in order to be able to use my metric wrenches
to change the oil?

Paul

< Previous Next >