Re: [opensuse] SUSE, OpenSUSE, SUSE Linux: confused...
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:46:57 +0000

houghi wrote:
> [..] Many people still write SuSE instead of SUSE, no matter how
> often you explain it to them.

You can explain that hundreds of times, I know the facts, and I will
nevertheless write "SuSE" most of the time (and I guess, the same holds
for many other people as well). That acronym has been used for many many
years (I think it started with something like "S.u.S.E.") - if the brand
name changes after such a long time, I don't think it's a big surprise
that people still use the old one. And, my personal opinion, I really
prefer "SuSE" over "SUSE", from my point of view it was a bad decision
changing the name. SuSE was really a unique combination of characters
(with a certain meaning, at least when you're familiar with the German
language) and that's what a brand name should be. SUSE just looks as if
somebody shouts something at you without any real content...

Cheers, Th.