Re: [opensuse] SUSE, OpenSUSE, SUSE Linux: confused...
  • From: "Peter Flodin" <pflodin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:30:11 +1100
On 2/21/06, Azerion <azerion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that a lot of people don't know the difference between:
> SUSE - company
> OpenSUSE - the project
> SUSE Linux - the OS
>
> They talk (i did also) about running OpenSUSE, or running SUSE. We all know
> what the other means with that...but it is not correct. Maybe it is an idea
> to put an explanation about the 3 into the release-notes or something else
> that will be used on other news-sites. Or ... maybe it is an idea to call
> SUSE Linux simply...OpenSUSE Linux. That will make thins clearer for the

You are not the first to suggest this. And there is even a wiki page
where you can vote
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_%26_SUSE_Linux_confusion

It was even worse before 10.1 because openSUSE the project created
SUSE Linux OSS, and Novell distributed SUSE Linux.

I am slowly warming to the idea to leave things as they are now.

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin.

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin