Re: [SLE] Network Confusion (Long Post)
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 09:31:44 -0500
On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 11:29 +0000, Vince Littler wrote:
> On Sunday 08 January 2006 04:23, Ken Schneider wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 00:00 +0000, Vince Littler wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you really want these boxes to have ~.1.2 as their gateway? This,
> > > after all, if I have read your earlier diagram right, is the outgoing
> > > interface of the Samba PDC. I think you mean ~.1.1, your outgoing router.
> > >
> > > I think this can be done, if you set an explicit route to ~.1.1 on each
> > > box via which ever interface of the Samba PDC it is connected.
> >
> > Not correct, you need to set the default GW to the next router in the
> > path to the internet, which in this case is the samba PC, for the subnet
> > in use.
>
> Agree. I was just trying to make more sense of the OP's proposal. And if it is
> do as I do rather than as I say, default gateway is on the same subnet as the
> box you are routing for.
>
> I have given the other config a quick try, and it seems to fall down on the
> way back from the second router. Probably it requires this router also to
> have a similar config, which it wont take, being a cheapy ADSL router.

That also is not correct. Linksys routers will not route traffic when
the subnet is not directly known (other then to try and send them out to
the internet). They can only ask other routers if they know about a
subnet (actually a host). In this case the samba PC/router is -between-
the Linksys router and two subnets so it is the job of the samba
PC/router to answer queries for those two subnets. If it does not then
the Linksys router will send all packets that it doesn't have routing
info for out it's default GW which would be the internet and all
addresses in the 192.168.x.x range are not routable on the internet.
That is why it "falls down" when the two subnets use the Linksys as a
default GW, the PC's are trying to bypass the samba PC/router. Always
use the nearest router as the defaut GW and let the router do it's job
of routing the traffic.

--
Ken Schneider