Re: [SLE] Menu font for Firefox (DPI & PT)
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:29:48 +0000 (UTC)
marbux wrote:

> On 11/11/05, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > 3mm and 3pt aren't even close to the same thing, so following that
> > advice could cause a pretty big mess. 3pt is 3/72" (0.04167"), while 3mm
> > is 0.1181", nearly three times as much.

> I phrased that poorly. What I meant was that people could use the more
> familiar point size conventions rather than the off-topic millimeter
> standard employed on the web site's example code. I did not intend to
> imply that 3-point type would be a useful setting. I had a
> 25-year-plus career as a professional typographer, beginning at age
> 10, before a career change in my 40's. In my considered opinion, type
> sizes should *never* be specified in anything but points because it
> encourages to the very type of misunderstanding that you describe. The
> point system of measurement for type size has an oral and written
> tradition spanning more than 500 years of western civilization.

That position a very logical one to take, but only until you understand
the critical distinctions between printing on paper and "printing" to
the world wide web, where you have no real idea of the actual size of
anything displayed except on your own equipment. The user has ultimate
control of several variables, including browser default text size,
screen resolution, DPI, available fonts, and display size.

Visit these links to get the general idea of the DPI problem that
specifically makes points unsuitable for publishing to the web:
http://style.cleverchimp.com/font_size/points/font_wars.GIF
http://style.cleverchimp.com/font_size/points/dump.html

In addition, neither px nor pt should be used for sizing any text
expected to be viewed in M$IE, because of that old browser's inability
to override inappropriately sized text, and change its size to something
usable by the particular viewer.

I have additional links to web text sizing and other web accessibility
issues at http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/wauth2.html
--
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/