Re: [SLE] Menu font for Firefox (DPI & PT)
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:55:06 +0000 (UTC)
marbux wrote:

> However, a further question regarding the example CSS code on the
> Mozilla customizing web page: Are millimeter type sizes not absolute
> as well?

Absolutely. :-)

> Shouldn't that code be edited to reflect relative rather than
> absolute type sizes.

Maybe. Internally for the chrome, for reasons not entirely clear to me,
Mozilla uses absolutes, and in partcular, for the root default, uses
that 3.5mm you see in the example. When you convert that 3.5mm to pt
(real pt being 1/72"), you get almost exactly 10pt. Traditionally,
before scalable fonts came into wide use for screen media, screen fonts
typically were available in limited sizes, commonly skipping odd sizes
above 10pt (some common bitmap fonts still do that). The Windows 98
system menu font comes/came on only 3 pt sizes. 0-9, 10-11, & 12-up.
10pt is one such size smaller than the screen default 12pt (16px), about
which: http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/defaultsize.html:note1
--
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/