Re: [opensuse] Packages from a user and Packager perspective
  • From: Andreas Simon <andreas.w.simon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:15:18 +0200
>         |________________ rpm.src -> Use that

I am hope that rpms which don't follow SUSE policies are no option. SUSE
always standed for high quality. I don't expect Novell to change this. Thus
there MUST be some QA process before (of course afterwards too) any package
is added at all. Don't just grab random crap and add it. SPECS need to be
reviewed before they are added, packages need to be tested, it must be
ensured that even with add-on packages updates to newer SUSE Linux versions
are possible, it should be ensured that someone is willing to maintain the
package and updates it if a security issue is found, etc. Otherwise you end
up like Ubuntu's universe with a big number of packages but not enough
maintainers, a lot of broken packages, no security support, etc. We don't
want this, do we?

Cheers,
Andreas