Packages from a user and Packager perspective
  • From: "Andreas Girardet" <agirardet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 00:32:50 -0600
Hello team

A few days ago a discussion on the opensuse-optimize mailinglist was
started about the future of our distro in regard to its building blocks,
the packages. A suggestion was made to extend this discussion to this
list and invite anyone on here to add their ideas. SUSE.de has already
signaled that this would be a fantastic brainstorming opportunity for
us, since once 10.0 is released there will be certainly decisions needed
on how to proceed on that subject. The community build servers are not
that far away (early next year) and that does force us to start
thinking about things now and certainly more and more over the next
months. This is our chance to define the future and effective growth of
our distro.

I have started a WIKI site on

http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/Packager

Which currently contains unsorted ideas from the current discussions.
I would think that we should continue to add to that via a discussion
here. I can if you want transfer those ideas to the wiki page or
someone else can, I prefer the latter, or just do it yourself directly
to the WIKI page. After 10.0 is released we can then start to structure
those ideas into a more coherent and consistent form, which then could
be integrated into things to come.

Remember that packages are the building blocks of your distro and the
way you will get packages as a user will certainly be defined and define
also by how packagers create their packages. One goes hand in hand with
the other. The future and innovation of this OS is going to define how
quickly we can grow effectively and in a stable manner into the future
and create enough innovative force to allow our distro to prevail in the
commercial reality, which needs this innovation to give us the
competitive edge.

In my opinion this discussion needs to start now for us to have enough
time to come to a clear consensus, convince most and create the
foundations for years to come.

Thanks for listening and happy brainstorming ;)

Regards,

Andreas Girardet

< Previous Next >