Re: [opensuse] Ahain a new version of makeSUSEdvd
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:04:30 +0200
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 03:16:52PM +0200, houghi wrote:
> About the jigdo files. With iso files, I can just click and download. With
> *.jidgo you first need to install something and then hope it works. I was
> the best example of how it did NOT work.

This is why we need better end user documentation. This is not why we schould
not use the tool at all.

> The GUI was not available for me. The CLI needed some looking up on how to
> work this from my side.
>
> With an iso, I just either click on it to download, or if I am a bit more

If you tell your browser to open all .jigdo files with jigdo-lite then just
clicking the link should be enough as well (even without any GUI application).

> advanced, I type wget. Will work and quaranteed no problems with whatever

what is the difference regarding complexity in typing

$ wget http://some.server.org/some/path/and/file.iso

$ jigdo-lite http://some.server.org/some/path/and/file.jigdo

?

Ok, the second line has some more letters.

> For me that is no reason to do it in a more complicated way. To _ME_ this
> sounds as if you are saying: If you can not handle this, please go away.
> That is not my idea of userfriendly.

This sounds correct to you. If some person was not capable to open the door
of his car I would _strictly_ recommend him _not_ to repair it himself.

And BTW: Being user-friendly does not mean to fulfill every request a user has
even if that request would hurt many other people in a community. Sometimes
it is just necessary to say "no". You wouldn't jump from a bridge just
because some tourist requests: "Could you please jump from this bridge, I'd
like to take a really interesting photo." --- Maybe it is not friendly not to
jump from the bridge to allow the tourist to take an interesting photo but
saying "no" here could prevent you from hurting yourself.

> > I see no advantage for me when you don't give me suitcase with 5 million
> > Dollars. I see that you might not have so much money, but I will not like to
> > see this. --- Got my point.
>
> OK. I will ask it the other way around. What are the advantage for me, as
> an enduser to use jidgo, instead of direct iso downloads?

If there are no ISOs availlable for direct download the advantage is that you
get an ISO image that way. If you force them they will go that way.

It's just like speed limits on the streets: Most people don't see an advantage
in them but they help the community from being hurt by car accidents.
Consider the mirror servers as being the streets and the users as being the
car drivers.

> > Who is providing support for distributing the stuff to the end user. If users
> > are _that_ inflexible mirror admins could be as well.
>
> Users ARE that inflexible, as are a lot of admins. :-/

I don't think that Eberhard is inflexible and he told that there are problems
with the current situation. Thus it seems quite fair when the users are
willing to be a bit cooperative when this is necessary to find a solution.
Otherwise it might happen that some mirror admins get angry and shut down
their service. Then the situation becomes even more user-unfriendly.

> > In my opinion someone that is not even willing to do some really simple steps
> > to get the image should just go to a shop and buy an official package from
> > SUSE.
>
> Again, to me that sounds eletish. Also: will openSUSe be available in the
> shops, or will that be SUSE?

Maybe this sounds eletish. In my opinion if someone just wants to consume
something without even being a bit cooperative to those people providing the
stuff then he should pay for it. If this sounds eletish then this is ok for
me.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele Tel.: +49-621-181-2214