Re: [opensuse] Ahain a new version of makeSUSEdvd
  • From: Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:18:01 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Wednesday 31 August 2005 00:52, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:

Beta3 was already 32 GB. This already is far too much for the servers -
not regarding disk space, but buffer cache.
With thousands of concurrent users, it is impossible to serve all files
directly from the disks. The disk heads would more move than read data.
So the servers get lame if they can not hold most of the most requested
files in RAM during such "slashdotting" situations like we have each
thursday.

I thought the torrents would help alleviate this problem. With the torrents,
only a fraction of all downloads would come directly from the source server,
and most would get the data from other downloaders. Did I miss something?

For me, it seems like the torrents are peanuts.
Ask yourself - did you use them?

Have a look at http://ftp.gwdg.de/stats/webalizer/ - there you can see what ftp.gwdg.de has delivered via http the last days.
Add about 1 to 2 TB a day for the sum of ftp and rsync, and you see very very clear that a relaxing effect by the torrents is simply not existing.

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@xxxxxxx, em@xxxxxxx)