Re: [opensuse] Ahain a new version of makeSUSEdvd
  • From: Winston Graeme <winstongraeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:03:45 +0100 (BST)

http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/Making_a_DVD_from_CDs

> > Lots of thanks for your effort ... but I still
> don't
> > understand why DVD iso's arent realeased :-( ... .
>
> Beta3 was already 32 GB. This already is far too
> much for the servers -
> not regarding disk space, but buffer cache.
> With thousands of concurrent users, it is impossible
> to serve all files
> directly from the disks. The disk heads would more
> move than read data.
> So the servers get lame if they can not hold most of
> the most requested
> files in RAM during such "slashdotting" situations
> like we have each
> thursday.
>
> Best would be to even discard the CD ISO files and
> publish only a script
> which would get the files from the inst-source
> directory and build the CD
> or DVD ISOs at the user's pc.
>
> Cheers -e
> --
> Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@xxxxxxx, em@xxxxxxx)

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> opensuse-help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the reply.
32 GB is quite something.
10 GB for 32bit, 64bit and ppc ... I must be missing
something.
BTW thankyou to everyone responsible for the return of
non-SLES-SuSE to PPC :-).

"> Best would be to even discard the CD ISO files and
> publish only a script
> which would get the files from the inst-source
> directory and build the CD
"> or DVD ISOs at the user's pc.

Good idea.

People/SuSE could automatically download houghi's
script for example & do something similiar to the way
Nvidia-drivers are installed but just in this case for
creating /a bootable DVD/CD's.