Re: [opensuse] Ahain a new version of makeSUSEdvd
  • From: Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:52:10 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Winston Graeme wrote:
--- houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have updated http://houghi.org/script/makeSUSEdvd

I have added options. This means you can now do
this:
- select the directory where the is's are
- select the directory where you want to save the
dvd iso
- select the directory where all stuff needs to be
placed

The last can be used for e.g. network instalation.

There is also an option NOT to make the dvd iso,
wich can come in handy
with the last option.

e.g.
makeSUSEdvd -d tmp/opensuse/10.0/B3_32/ -o
/media/mp3/ -s openSUSE/test -i

Also it is possible to use real CD's instead of
iso's (could be that
somebody brought them to you)

Another thing I have done is re-written the
recognistion of space
available. (Thanks to whom has pointed it out. Don't
know if you want to
be named or not)

It is ready for openSUSe 10.0Beta4. Please let me
know if there are other
things that can be done. A GUI is something I will
not be able to do.

Please test to your haerts content and let me know
of any and all errors.
--
houghi

http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/Making_a_DVD_from_CDs

Lots of thanks for your effort ... but I still don't
understand why DVD iso's arent realeased :-( ... .

Beta3 was already 32 GB. This already is far too much for the servers - not regarding disk space, but buffer cache.
With thousands of concurrent users, it is impossible to serve all files directly from the disks. The disk heads would more move than read data.
So the servers get lame if they can not hold most of the most requested files in RAM during such "slashdotting" situations like we have each thursday.

Best would be to even discard the CD ISO files and publish only a script which would get the files from the inst-source directory and build the CD or DVD ISOs at the user's pc.

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@xxxxxxx, em@xxxxxxx)