Re: [SLE] FireFox broken, is SuSE Pro becoming a test bed like Fedora?
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:57:12 -0700
On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 11:46 -0500, Jack Brooks wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 09:19 -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> > With regards to Firefox specifically, though, did you upgrade recently
> > via YOU? What version of SuSE are you running. I'm running 9.2 and the
> > latest YOU upgrade is horribly broken. I fixed it by uninstalling and
> > rolling back to a previous patch in the place where patches are kept,
> > but it's kind of silly. I shouldn't have to do that. Novell should be
> > testing patches before releasing them. That's my point. If they're not
> > going to bother testing them, why shouldn't I use Fedora or something
> > else bleeding edge?
> >
> > Preston
>
> I'm running 9.3. I did update via YOU. Sometimes they do issue patches
> that don't quite work but they usually get fixed fairly quickly once
> they start getting reports of the problem. At least that seems to have
> been the case in my experience.
>
> Of course, if you'd like, I suppose you could try downloading firefox
> from the ftp.gwdg.de repositories. That might help. Pure speculation
> on my part.
>
> Jack

It's disturbing, though, to see them miss the mark so badly on such a
vital piece of software. I've seen bad YOU updates before. But they
don't usually involve such a vital piece of software as your web
browser. Yes, I've seen a bad kernel update in my time, but these should
be the exception. Seems like I've seen more lately. I hope this gets
fixed soon. If not I'm going to have to start looking around.

Preston

< Previous Next >