Re: [SLE] FireFox broken, is SuSE Pro becoming a test bed like Fedora?
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:10:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Michael W Cocke wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:59:19 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >I've been watching the happenings on the message boards recently with
> >regards to SuSE 9.3. It seems like it's more bleeding edge and unstable
> >than usual.
>
> Then you haven't been paying attention. It's 'bleeding edge and
> unstable' if you choose to disregard common sense. I've got it on 2

What does that mean? I'm just reading the Usenet group and the message
boards and reading about all kinds of problems. It's anecdotal, but come
on. Not everyone who has a bug with SuSE is an idiot. Sometimes the system
is actually at fault.

> systems so far, including a production email server. One relatively
> minor problem, to which the solution was already posted here. The
> performance improvement over 9.1 and 9.2 is fantastic! I'm actually
> looking forward to upgrading my file server. 8-)>

That's good to hear. However, I'm going to wait and see. Like I said, what
I'm reading isn't good. Especially with regards to problems with
OpenOffice 2.0 (which last I heard is still beta). Putting major versions
of software like this into the distro when their beta seems like a bad
idea. And people are having problems with it.

> Of course, I've never tried to 'update' a system - I follow the
> conventional wisdom (based on my own experiences) of doing a clean
> install of ANY operating system upgrade, whether it's windows, OS/2,
> linux, or DOS.

I didn't do an update. I updated Firefox via YOU.

> > And now I get a Firefox YOU update where my bookmarks and
> >profile are broken. I can still get to my bookmarks, but I have to
> >select "Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks" then my bookmarks appear after
> >having disappeared. They disappear next time I start Firefox back up. On
> >top of that it doesn't properly recognize my profile, i.e. Firefox looks
> >different than it should. Different X to close down tabs, etc.
>
> You should probably be asking this question of the mozilla/firefox
> team, since the exact same thing happened to me when I upgraded
> (manually) from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 on a SuSE 9.2 system, and a bit of
> investigation showed that it was because of a bug in 1.0.2 that 1.0.3
> corrected...

YOU totally bi-passed 1.0.2 I believe. I don't find it in the RPM cache,
at least. So this is something to do with the current update.

> >What is going on with Novell quality control? I'm a little concerned. In
> >the short term I want Firefox to work again. In the long term I want to
> >know that YOU isn't going to thrash my desktop for daily use. I can get
> >that with Fedora if I want.
>
> As far as I can see, if you pay attention to what's going on you
> should be fine. If you want to be oblivious, I suggest windows.

Oh please. I don't want oblivious. I can admin a Linux box. I can admin a
FreeBSD box. I could do it all from source if I wanted to. But I'm a web
and Java developer. I need my system to "just work". And that's why I pay
SuSE the money. So it "just works". So excuse me if that's my expectation.
It's not because I'm stupid or lazy. It's because there's a reason I pay
for SuSE. And if they fall down on the job, then I could just run FreeBSD
(well, except it has Java issues) or Fedora and tweak everything myself.

Preston